Saturday, June 5, 2010

Jungle Fever

So I was a bit sick at the beginning of the week. It was amazing how many people wanted to help and were concerned for my well-being. At first they thought I might have Dengue Fever because I went to Soritor, the neighboring city that apparently has had problems with that. It turned out I just had a bit of pharyngitis or something. Some kind of a bacteria or virus. I took some pills and got a blessing and slept for a couple days then I was better. I had to postpone my nutrition class, but I did get to teach it on Thursday. It went pretty well, it was a little less than an hour and I felt like it was good enough. I think it was the first class that I taught all by myself. The director asked us to come back and teach other things too so it must not have been too bad. Next time I might just ask for questions first then plan my lesson because I spent a lot of time answering questions based on weird traditions they have. It was kind of like when I was sick, people told me a wide variety of reasons I wasn´t feeling well. Some were legit, and some just made me laugh. I don´t think they ever learned the germ theory here...maybe I´ll make that my next lesson. Ok, well I´m going to try and post some pictures but as a different post just in case it doesn´t work. Thanks for all your support, I really am loving my time here. I am glad I get to be settled in the village, as more volunteers come and go I realize how much easier it is to make a difference when you spend a significant amount of time. We´ve been here for about a month and we´re still developing solutions to problems we´ve only just barely found. It really is a wonderful place, the people are great and the life is simple. The people have such a desire to learn and to make life better, especially for their kids. It is just an awesome place to work. Ok, that´s all. Love to all. -Jenny

1 comment: